15 Halloween Costume Ideas for 2011
Photograph by formatted_dad on Flickr
Halloween is just around the corner. If you don’t already have your costume put together here are 15 ideas to inspire you (and a bonus 5 ideas for your home). If you want to be really creative, be sure to refer back to last years post on homemade Halloween costumes.
- Alice in Wonderland: Tim Burton’s reinterpretation of this childhood classic provides several costume choice for adults. If the title character isn’t ‘your cup of tea,’ consider the Queen of Hearts.
- Katy Perry: A great alternative to the Lady Gaga overload
- Pan Am Flight Attendant: A fun spin on the vintage trend inspired by the hit new TV series. Would make a great group costume.
- Princess Beatrice or Eugeni: Creating your own wacky wedding hats is a great DIY costume option
- Black Swan: Bring out your inner ballerina
- Disgraced Celebrities: Lots to chose from this year, including Charlie Sheen, Arnold Schwarzenegger , Tiger Woods and Anthony Weiner
- Lord Voldemort: A great way for adults to show their love for the Harry Potter series and scare a few people while you are at it!
- Don Draper: The Mad Men Show fan-site has a guide to creating the perfect Don Draper—or any of your favourite characters—costume.
- Green Man: though made popular by the Canuck’ the spandex unseat has created it’s own meme… If you want to stand out from the pack, consider a Red Man or Gold Man ensemble.
- Superheros: Lots to chose from this yer: Captain America, Thor, Green Lantern, Iron Man
- Steve Jobs: A easy, DIY way to pay tribute to an icon.
- Princess Kate: What better costume than a a real life princess!
- Angry Birds: These costumes are literally flying off the shelves. Would make a fun family or group costume idea… Here’s some handy DIY instructions to make your own.
- Harry Potter: The movies may be over, but the magic lives on
- Zombies: A perennial classic and great way to get one last wear out of old or ripped clothing.
- Smurfs: There ill be a lot of little blue people out this Halloween
Bonus: Haunted Home Ideas
Being a home-builder site, we’d be remiss if we didn’t offer some ideas for dressing up your home:
- Creepy Centrepiece: Adding some spray paint or glitter to a small pumpkin or gourd makes a great focus point for your table or entryway. Attach some plastic spiders to complete the creepy effect.
- Black is Back: If you are bored with the traditional carved jack-o-lantern, grab some black and white paint and create a ghost-o’-lanterns.
- Spooky Silhouettes: Cut black construction paper into bat, witch or black cat silhouettes to hide in corners or place on doors and windows.
- Terror Tunes: Prepare a spooky soundtrack of your favourite scary sounds and songs to greet your party guests or trick-o-treaters.
- Fearsome Fog: Dry ice available at most grocery stores and is a cheap yet effective way to creature a ghostly atmosphere.