According to the Toxic Black Mold Information Center, there are 22 different signs that your home may have mold toxicity.
Toxic molds can make you and your family very sick or even worse. So consult professionals or be prepared to take serious steps to source, clean and prevent the mold from spreading.
If you are doing it yourself, first resolve the moisture problem that is allowing the mold to grow. Fix the leak or repair the water damage. If the humidity is above 55% in your area, invest in a dehumidifier.
Turn off any HVAC systems that circulate air through the affected areas. Seal off each room by covering all interior doors, windows, vents and openings with plastic sheeting and duct tape. Lightly mist the affected area with water to help prevent the mold from becoming airborne. Clean all surfaces with soap and apply the right disinfectant to kill the mold.
Now completely dry the area to prevent the mold’s return. Purifiers with UV light and added ionization have been found to be effective in preventing the return of the mold while the surfaces dry.
Remove all materials through an outside opening from the room, re-seal the room and move on to the next one until all parts of the house have been cleaned and disinfected. All bags of affected materials should be taken to a local landfill for disposal.
Is mold a problem in your home? How did you deal with it?