Looking for some great homemade Halloween costume ideas? Whether you’re against store-bought costumes, don’t have the money to spend on them, or are looking for something that’s unique, here are several creative homemade Halloween costumes that you can make easily and affordably.
Your kid doesn’t need to be dressed like the hundreds of other Buzz Lightyears, Woodys, Disney Princesses, or Hermiones and Harry Potters that are trick-or-treating this year. And you don’t need to be dressed in that Austin Powers costume from Wal-Mart (though I must admit, that one does scream “yeah, baby, yeah!”) or that so unoriginal sexy maid, cat, or devil costume everyone else is wearing. I mean really, how many “sexy” maids can one handle looking at when at a Halloween party? On second thought, don’t answer that.
Here are some totally awesome, totally creative homemade Halloween costumes that are cheap, easy, and fast to make.
Kids’ Pirate Costume
What you need…
How to make it…
1. Get you kid to put on the dress pants, shirt, and inside-out vest.
2. Take the old red rags and cut to a size where it can be worn on the head like a bandana.
3. Take the stuffed animal – preferably a parrot, but anything with wings will work, be it a pterodactyl, bat, or hawk – and pin it to your child’s shoulder using the safety pins.
4. Draw a moustache and beard on your child’s face using the black mascara.
5. To make the eye patch, simply cut out the shape of the patch from the cardboard and colour it black with the felt pen. Punch a hole on both the left and right side of the patch to thread the wool through, which will fit around the child’s head to keep in place.
Done! The cost of this homemade Halloween costume is next to none if you already have the items at home, which you probably do. Even if you need to make a trip to the second-hand store, you can probably make this kids costume for less than $10.
Adult Farmer George Costume
What you need…
How to make it…
This is an awesome and creative homemade costume for a woman.
1. Get into the work shirt and overalls.
2. Stuff yourself with the sheets in order to provide a little more junk in your trunk, jelly in your belly, and – for the women – to hide your lovely lady lumps.
3. Use the black wax to blacken out a few of your front teeth.
4. Draw on some facial hair with the black mascara.
5. If you have long hair, put it up into the hat to hide it.
6. Smear the foundation or bronzer heavily onto your face to look like dirt. You could, of course, use real dirt if you like.
Websites with great homemade Halloween costume ideas
If these creative homemade Halloween costume ideas don’t tickle your fancy, here are some websites that offer up some super cool homemade Halloween costume ideas.
Martha Stewart Homemade Halloween Costumes – Oh yeah, no do-it-yourself list is complete if it doesn’t include Martha Stewart. This link will provide you with some of the greatest and most creative homemade Halloween costume ideas with instructions on how to make them. Martha Stewart gives you homemade costumes ideas and instructions for adults, kids, families, babies, makeup tips, no-sew costumes, and easy Halloween costumes that kids can make themselves. (If you’re interested, check out these home decorating tips by Martha Stewart.)
Great Do It Yourself Nintendo Character Costume Ideas for Halloween – This article offers up ideas on how to make your own Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, Link, Yoshi, and Toad Halloween costumes. If you don’t want to make them, the article also provides you with details on where you can purchase the costumes.
50 Homemade Costume Ideas – The instructions are sparse at this site, but it can help get the creative juices flowing and point you in the right direction.
Make Your Own Halloween Costume from Recycled Materials – This article will give you some homemade Halloween costume ideas for both adults and kids. The ideas include: the classic ghost (though I’m sure you don’t need to be taught how to make that one), cardboard warrior, recycled robot, little pumpkin, and a big baby.
Kaboose Homemade Halloween Costumes – This site has great ideas (and instructions) for creative Halloween costumes for girls, boys, and several costumes that are animal and insect themed. You can learn how to make a popcorn costume, a ladybug costume, a clownfish costume, and everything in between.
What’s your favourite homemade Halloween costume?
Do you have a Halloween costume that you love to make? Something you’re particularly proud of? We’d love for you to share your ideas and designs with us! Leave a comment to tell us about it.
Have a safe and happy Halloween!