Dads are the hardest to shop for. Every year in June I seem to find myself in Canadian Tire, wandering the halls and wishing that my dad wanted something specific. And, every year I end up just giving up and grabbing a gift card because I can’t wrap my mind around what my dad would need, let alone want. And so, this year it’s time to have an action plan. That’s right, ladies. No more wandering around aimlessly in a store that smells like duct tape and tires. It is time. It is time to take control.
It doesn’t matter who you’re shopping for, having an idea for a gift (even if it’s vague) makes for a much more successful trip. And so, to help you this Fathers Day (which if you haven’t realized is coming up soon… like the 17th) we’ve complied a list of 5 great gift ideas for your father this season. Also, feel free to let us know in the comment box what your great gift ideas are!
1. A Cottage! – Now, I know what you’re thinking, “you guys at Martell are crazy! I can’t afford that!”. But what you don’t realize is getting the Dad in your life a cottage may be cheaper than you think. For only $25 dollars you can buy a ticket to the Boy’s and Girl’s Club Dream Cottage Draw. Not only will you be giving Dad the chance at a new cottage but also helping kids in the Moncton area! To learn more about the draw and about our involvement click here!
2. Meat. – Yup. It’s just that simple. Get the #1 Dad in your life the finest and most masculine food you can afford. Depending on your man’s tastes, steak, lobster, sausage, or really anything else that he loves will be well appreciated. Make sure when you give it to him (cooked or uncooked) in a way that makes sure he knows that it was a special buy just for him. Here’s an idea: make it even more exciting by putting some bows on the (wrapped) meat, placing it in the (turned off) BBQ, and having your children blindfold their dad and lead him to the BBQ where he can unwrap his special Father’s day surprise (and then get to work cooking it!).
3. A Ticket to The Game – Pick your poison…uh.. I mean sporting event and get the Dad in your life couple of tickets. Whether he takes you or takes a buddy, he’ll appreciate the “man time” that you’ve given him. If that’s out of your price range, it’s okay! There are great alternatives: Get him a jersey/hat/tshirt from his favorite team or give him a gift certificate/money for him and his buddies to go out to a sports bar during one the “the games” so that they can enjoy it there (mini sports vacation?).
4. Gadgets – Men like having new toys and so the Dad in your life will light up when you get him a new gadget to play with. Depending on his interests a tablet, video game, tool, model airplane, or music instrument might be the perfect gift for him this June. Whatever you decide on make sure that you have everything ready that it needs to work (are the batteries included??) so that he doesn’t have to wait to use his new toy.
5. A Craft – This one is more for your kids, but if they’re young they’ll likely need your help to do it. I know that my dad still has “happy father’s day” art work that my brothers and sisters and I made 20+ years ago on display in his tool shed. While meat, gadgets, and hockey tickets might be nice there’s really nothing like a personal touch. So, get those hands dirty and help your kids make a hand-print Dad’s Day card or get our the crayons and get those tikes to draw a mural of your family. No matter what you do he’ll love that you put so much thought to him and he’ll really understand just how much he is appreciated by his loved ones.
Happy (early) Father’s Day to all the dads out there! We love you!
Here are a few cool gadgets that every DIY enthusiast should consider owning. Some of these gadgets are completely useless, but still awesome to have, while others are actually very practical (we’ll let you decide which falls into what category).
Everybody has a little geek in them, and DIY enthusiasts are no exception. So, without further ado, here are six cool gadgets to help the DIY enthusiast get their geek on.
We’re not sure what, exactly, you’ll want to be measuring when you’re alone in the bathroom, and we’re probably better off being left in the dark on that one. Whatever it is you want to size up, this cool gadget has got your back (side).
This sucker (pun totally intended) is a cool gadget made for your iPhone or iPod Touch, although we can’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work with your BlackBerry or HTC if that’s the team you play for. Hey, you could even use the iPlunger to prop up your smartphone on your bathroom counter to make a hands-free call while measuring things with the Measuring Toilet Roll. Multitasking, we love it.
This cool gadget enables you to plug in any electronic device to accurately gauge how much electricity it uses. Use this gadget along with these ways to reduce your electricity bill and you’re sure to save some money.
Forget about using lame fruit and vegetable fridge magnets, these are perfect for any DIY enthusiast.
This is, by far, one of the coolest gadgets for DIY enthusiasts. Don’t know how to install a light switch? No problem! Too lazy to install a light switch? That’s cool. Want a device that enables you to turn on a light without removing your arse from the couch? We completely understand. The Instant Switch is a remote-controlled light switch that enables you to turn on a lamp from up to sixty feet away, doesn’t require any tools to install, and includes a dimer-control in addition to the standard on/off switch. Hey Clapper, eat your heart out.
No product roundup of cool gadgets for the DIY enthusiast would be complete without something to do with our Canadian hero: Mike Holmes. The Make It Right app is compatible with all iThings – iPod Touch, iPad and iPhone – and has been created to assist you with your home renovations. Check out this review for more information.
Get Your Geek On
Do you know of any cool gadgets designed specifically with the DIY enthusiast in mind? Leave a comment to let us know!