August 21st, 2012
Interested in changing some lawn care habits to help the environment and your pocketbooks? Here are 5 great ways to start living green!
1. Pour with Care! – Gasoline can be very damaging to the soil of your lawn not to mention the creatures that come in contact with it. So, when you’re pouring gas into your lawnmower take your time. All too often we’re trying to be quick and we end up spilling gas everywhere which is wasteful and potentially very harmful. We recommend investing in a funnel or a gas canister with one built in to help you control the gas as you pour!
2. Don’t Water the Sidewalk – We talked about this in our Living Green: Conserve Thy Water post but we wanted to say it again, don’t water the sidewalk! It’s very wasteful of our water resources to be spraying the lawn so be extra careful where you place that sprinkler the next time you go to give your lawn a drink!
3. Get Reel About Mowing – You may have never considered a Reel Mower before but this handy tool will help dramatically reduce the negative impact that your lawn care has on the environment. This tool is run totally by you, no gas and no electricity. Look at it this way, by using a reel mower you’re trimming your lawn, saving the environment, and getting a workout all in one! Now that’s a win.
4. Downsize – A bigger lawn means more work which usually means more resources. Consider investing in a smaller lawn the next time you’re home-shopping. Remember, there are always parks and public spaces if you’re concerned about having the space you need.
5. Eco Landscaping – It may seem strange but there are ways to design your lawn that will make your home more ecologically friendly. For example, deciduous trees can be planted to the south or west of your home to shade the building and lower air conditioning costs. Shrubs can also be planted around the foundation to help insulate your home and keep that heat in! For more info check out this article!
Interested in other ways to live green? Check out our other blogs: