Here at Martell Homes we are getting ready for the CIBC Run for the Cure happening on September 30th! And we want you! That’s right, we want you on our team as we run to end breast cancer.
Now, you may be saying “Yeahhh but I don’t run!”.. and that’s okay for 2 reasons!. 1) You don’t have to run when you’re doing the Run for the Cure, you can walk! and 2) We’re here to give you some tips so that you can!
Here are our top 5 tips on how to run better:
1. Be the Turtle When Training – While we all get a little excited when we start something new it’s really important when running to start conservatively and allow yourself to progress. The danger is that if you start too aggressively you can set yourself up for some less than desireble injuries. Try adding 10% to your run every week for the first three weeks and then back off a bit (20%) for the following week.
2. Treat Your Feet – Having the proper footwear is essential. We’ve all done it, we’ve gone to the store and bought new runners without actually getting them to properly size and evaluate our feet needs. Take your time when you go to get your runners and make sure that you have the absolute best fit and shoe to help you avoid running injuries.
3. Bring a Friend: There’s nothing like having someone there beside you to keep you motivated, entertained, and engaged. Bring someone along who you know will support you and encourage you in your goal. Having someone also makes you more likely to keep up your running schedule because you’re less likely to make excuses not to run if you know someone is depending on you.
4. Keep Your Gear Ready – Always have your running gear (clothes, shoes, water, watch) ready in a bag so that any time you have a burst of energy or motivation you can take advantage of it without getting slowed down by prep.
5. Enter Races – Races give you a goal which will make you more focused and motivated to push yourself to be the best you can be. The CIBC Run for the Cure is the perfect opportunity for you to set a goal and work towards it. If you’re interested in joining (or supporting) or Martell Homes team check out our donation page here!
Check out this blog for more tips on how you can run better.
Fact: In 2010, an estimated 5,300 women in Canada will die from breast cancer.
Fact: In 2010, an estimated 180 men in Canada will be diagnosed with breast cancer.
Fact: One in nine (11%) Canadian women are expected to develop breast cancer during her lifetime.
The Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation CIBC Run for the Cure is Canada’s largest single day, volunteer-led fundraising event dedicated to raising funds for breast cancer research, education and awareness programs.
Martell Home Builders is joining forces with tens of thousands of other Canadians to help raise awareness and fight breast cancer. The Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation does more than just cancer research; they also help pay for treatment, offer education and after care support, fit women with wigs and prosthesis, and more. This organization saves lives and Martell Home Builders support them 100%.
From now until race time in October, our trucks will be driving around Moncton with a big pink moustache on them to celebrate and raise awareness for all those who are fighting, be sure to stop us and say hi, or share your story.
Our goal is to raise $5000. Please help us by making a donation.
Has breast cancer had an impact on your life? Please feel free to share your story in the comments below.